New Zealand Blackcurrant Co-operative
Welcome to the New Zealand Blackcurrant Co-operative, a grower-owned co-operative that’s committed to growing the world’s most intensely flavoured, delicious and nutritionally powerful blackcurrants. Here, under the pure skies and strong UV sunlight that New Zealand is famous for, our blackcurrants develop very high quantities of health-giving antioxidants, anthocyanins, phenolics and vitamin C – making them one of nature’s true superfoods.
**News**. The annual Sarau Festival is on again this summer in Upper Moutere just outside of Nelson, on Sunday 29th January 2017, from 3pm. This blackcurrant festival is a celebration of New Zealand blackcurrants and their unique and delicious characteristics. Upper Moutere is one of the two main growing regions for blackcurrants in New Zealand.For more information visit www.saraufestival.co.nz
World-class Research and Quality
The Co-operative has over 40 growers in two main regions – Nelson and Canterbury, both in the South Island – and uses a proven traceability system to ensure each batch of fruit can be traced back to its source, giving the customer an assurance of quality and consistency.
The Co-op provides customers with unique New Zealand varieties, developed through world-class research, and plant breeding. These varieties have been developed to provide higher levels of colour, flavour and health-giving antioxidants. The result is a blackcurrant with an intensity of colour and health functionality that is without equal in the world.
NZ Blackcurrants - The healthier choice
- Blackcurrants have higher antioxidant activity than other berries. Recent test results show blackcurrants as a superior antioxidant source to 24 other common fruits.
- They have higher levels of anthocyanins (a specific type of powerful antioxidant) than any other commercially available fruit or vegetable.
- Blackcurrants contain higher levels of vitamin C than any other commercially available fruit or vegetable – just half a cup provides the recommended daily intake for only 39 calories.
- Clinical trials show that regular consumption of blackcurrants reduces muscle stiffening and muscle fatigue, improves kidney function, increases blood flow and blood circulation, improves eye function and visual fatigue.
- They contain vitamins B and E, they are high in copper and potassium, low in sodium, high in soluble fibre and high in Omega 3 and 6.
Highly Nutritious and Versatile
New Zealand blackcurrants undergo an intense harvesting period in summer, strict grading and then immediate processing into IQF frozen fruit, juice concentrate and puree. These products are used in: ready-to-drink juices, yoghurts, muesli bars, jams, ice creams, breakfast cereals and bakery goods.
In today’s climate of consumers being increasingly interested in the food they consume, and where it comes from, our customers can be assured that we grow not only wonderful tasting blackcurrants that will give their consumers an enjoyable flavour and texture, but that they are of exceptionally high quality and contribute to their good health.
All NZ Blackcurrant Co-operative products are free of all known allergens and are GMO free and preservative free.
Contact us now to discuss your blackcurrant needs.
Phone: 03 548 5130
International Phone: +64 3 548 5130